Apr 16 2013
Deadline: May 12th, 2013
(1) 2-Rad Frosh Coordinator positions (Campus-based & Community based) -Sunday, May 12, 2013 at midnight
QPIRG McGill’s Annual Radical Frosh Program is seeking two Coordinators.
Rad Frosh is a 2 or 3-day alternative orientation program for McGill and Montreal, coordinated annually by QPIRG-McGill. Rad Frosh provides over 200 new McGill students with unique and exciting opportunities to meet fellow students with similar interests, and to explore a range of social and environmental justice issues.
During Rad Frosh, students are introduced to countless community and activist organizations from McGill and Montreal, exposed to a diversity of pertinent issues via workshops, panel discussions and walking tours of Montreal and McGill. Rad Frosh aims to give new students a meaningful relationship to their community and campus.
Rad Frosh Coordinator: McGill Centered
- Liaise with the SSMU VP Internal, SSMU Frosh and other McGill groups, to ensure all orientations run smoothly.
- Meet regularly with QPIRG Staff and Board to maintain active support and involvement
- Coordinate logistics (room bookings, meals, A/V rentals, etc).
- Select facilitators to guide students through the program.
- Recruit participants.
- Make schedule and copy any other documents.
- Bottom-line registration.
- Coordinate Promotions- mail out, website, logo
Rad Frosh Coordinator: Community Centered
- Coordinate food and find sponsors
- Coordinate Rad Frosh Bag donations (sponsors)
- Community Publicity
- Solicit workshops and design callout for workshops
- Outreach to Montreal community groups for participation in the program
- Fundraise from campus and community groups for frosh costs.
- Organize logistics for final show
- Coordinate and update Budget and Finances
- Organize Summer Volunteers
- Programming decisions: Workshop decisions, Scheduling, Brainstorming the theme, Evening Events
- Evaluating the program and preparing a Final Report
- Ability to take initiative, work independently and as part of a team as well as by consensus.
- Experience coordinating projects or events with student groups/community organizations and volunteers.
- Well-organized and able to work in a dynamic workplace
- Interest in community organizing, especially with youth
- A demonstrated commitment to social and environmental change.
- Knowledge of Montreal community/activist groups
- Knowledge of McGill clubs, services and campus groups
- Familiarity with QPIRG McGill and the McGill campus.
- Bilingualism (French/English) is an asset; English will be the primary language of the program
- Flexible working hours (especially in August)
- Wage: salary and hours to be discussed, call for more information
- Due to criteria imposed by funding from a federal grant, Canadian out of province students and if Quebec is your province of residence, Anglophone students, returning to school will be prioritized for one of the positions. In your cover letter, please indicate if you are eligible.
LOCATION: Rad Frosh will be coordinated out of the QPIRG McGill office at 3647 University (corner des Pins). We regret that this is not a wheelchair accessible office.
QUESTIONS: Call us at 514-398-7432
***For the application, please include:
1) Please send a cover letter describing all relevant experience for the position and why you are interested working as part of the QPIRG-McGill team over the summer. Please note if you qualify for the grant and/or want employment equity. (note: 1 page max).
QPIRG-McGill recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from diverse communities bring to our organization, and invites individuals from these communities to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to the QPIRG-McGill organization, in the cover letter or resume. Work experience at QPIRG is not a pre-requisite for the position, nor will it privilege your application.
Submit your application by Sunday, May 12 th 2013 @ midnight one of four ways:
- Via email at firstname.lastname@example.org with “RAD FROSH (CAMPUS or COMMUNITY) APPLICATION” in the subject line.
- Fax it to (514) 398-8976.
- Drop it off at 3647 University, 3rd floor between 11h and 17h Monday to Friday (just south of Des Pins, metro McGill – please note that QPIRG is not a wheelchair accessible space).
- Sent by mail to: QPIRG McGill, 3647 University Street 3rd Floor, Montreal, QC H3A 2B3 (it must arrive before the deadline).
***You will only be contacted if you receive an interview***
If you have any questions about our hiring processes, please do not hesitate to contact us or read our Hiring Policy
(2) Research Summer Stipend Callout – Deadline: April 30th, 2013 //