Oct 16 2012
Deadline: October 31st!
***This position is a Emploi-Québec Subvention Salariale Position. To be eligible you must fall under one of the three following categories:
- Employment Insurance recipients.
- Persons receiving benefits under a last-resort financial assistance program.
- Unemployed persons who do not receive government income support.
**In addition, you can only apply if this is the first time you receive an Emploi Quebec grant.**
Working group coordination
- Act as a primary resource person for the working groups and maintain communication (e.g. updating groups on QPIRG developments, staying abreast of group activities, etc.)
- Facilitate communication among working groups and between working groups and Board
- Outreach for and organize new working group application process
- Assess and follow up on needs of working groups for support and training
- Coordinate semi-annual working group budget meetings and assist members with financial administration with Finance and Administration Coordinator
- Keep working groups updated about grant status, budget status, general QPIRG policies, monies and deadlines
- Coordinate and assist working groups with grant hires and completing grant hire forms
- Work in coordination with Financial and Administrative Coordinator on keeping track of working group finances, such as invoices, expense reports and receipts
- Coordination of QPIRG-McGill volunteers
- Assist with outreach and Community Building
- Assist with Organizational Outreach and Promotion
- Basic Office Tech Support
A successful candidate will possess the following:
- Good understanding of the structure and day-to-day operations of not-for-profit organizations and/or community organizations (ie. board, staff and volunteers)
- Experience in community organizing, activism and mobilization
- Commitment to the principles of QPIRG McGill’s mandate and its realization
- Anti-oppression analysis and proficiency in applying this to all levels of decision-making
- Knowledge and awareness of political, social, economic and environmental issues
- Experience in event planning and coordination
- Ability to work with a broad range of people and political perspectives
- Ability to work both autonomously and with others
- Ability to work flexible hours
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks
- Demonstrated organizational and communication skills,
- Some knowledge and experience with financial management and budgeting
- Experience working with student groups and community organizations
- Strong computer knowledge and experience with Macintosh computers
- Bilingual in spoken French and English
- Experience with consensus-based decision-making and facilitation
- Familiarity with PIRGs
- Familiarity with McGill University, its institutions, and the campus milieu
- Knowledge of Montreal-area community groups
- Experience developing organizational policy for not-for-profit organizations and/or community organizations
- Experience with conflict resolution and mediation
- French writing skills
- Experience working with Macintosh computer software including Microsoft Office and Adobe Suites.
- Comfort and experience with public speaking
- Experience in not-for-profit sector
- Experience writing press releases and doing other media work
QPIRG McGill recognizes and welcomes the unique contributions that individuals from marginalized and oppressed communities bring to our organization, and invites these individuals to apply. We encourage applicants to describe the unique contributions they, as individuals with diverse experiences, would bring to QPIRG McGill in their cover letter or resume. Please indicate clearly in your cover letter if you would like to be considered for Employment Equity.
In order to encourage a diverse range of applicants, QPIRG-McGill is committed to providing training for this position. We encourage anyone with many of the qualifications, even if this does not include all, to still apply.
We regret that the QPIRG-McGill office is not currently wheelchair-accessible.
- Contract for 30 weeks **upon Emploi Québec eligibility**
- Salary and hours to be discussed
To be determined
Application Deadline: Wednesday, October 31st, noon
To apply, send CV and cover letter to:
By mail or in person:
3647 University, 3rd Floor
Montreal, Quebec, H3A 2B3
By e-mail: email@example.com (Please indicate “QPIRG-McGill Hiring Committee” in the subject line of the e-mail)
*Please note that only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. *